Friday, April 17, 2009

Naef Toy

A little over a year ago I submitted an entry for a competition put on by the Naef toy company. Although the original idea was not to make a puzzle, the toy developed as such. Essentially the toy is intended to be a manipulation of classic blocks that introduces rare-earth magnets as an added level of complexity. The competition board shows how multiple sets of eight blocks can be used together.

axonometric conceptualization


competition board



the finished product




Corners are eased by chamfering them so that there are no sharp edges to chip off as the toy is played with over time.



here you can see one of the neodymium magnets before being glued into a block


the cubes are sized for tactility and ease of manipulation



3 comments:

emily said...

i likey

Darren Jansen said...

Did you actually make it? It looks cool. You are supposed to make a cube with it? or another shape? Has there been any response from the company?

JMitchell said...

I made the toy myself in the woodshop and used magnets from ebay.
The cubes are intended to make a cube my thought was that you would play with it to make other shapes. I didn't win the competition or even get a mention, but the winners were excellent and I didn't feel there was any shame in losing to them. My toy was also a bit more simple than what I think Naef was looking for.